I completed my case study with a first grade student in my first placement. I spent the majority of my intervention time working on his comprehension skills (more specifically, recalling details). According to his initial QRI and data I received from his classroom teacher, my student struggled with summarizing and identifying key details. I worked with him daily on summarizing short stories we read during our read-aloud time. I used the gradual release model to demonstrate how to use "first", "next", "then", "last" to retell a story. I spent two days on each section of the gradual release model ("I do", "We do", "You do") until I was confident in his ability to summarize a story with this model. Next, I began to teach him how to choose the most important details to write a one-sentence summary. Unfortunately, my time in my student's class ended before I was able to fully complete my instructional plan. Before I left, I shared my plans with the reading aide in my class and she continued to carry out this plan after I changed classes. Through my case study, I was able to pinpoint my student's exact needs and figure out a plan that would best benefit him. While the case study process was long, it was very helpful and I feel I will be able to complete the process quicker when I enter my own classroom.
RECs: 6.1, 6.6, 6.8
No comments:
Post a Comment