My second placement uses the "Daily 5" model for reading instruction. For those unfamiliar with this structure, this model revolves around four student centers and one teacher center. Centers change twice weekly so each student has a chance to visit at least four centers. The centers my supervising teacher uses are "Read to Self", "Listen to Reading", "Word Work", "Writing", and "Teacher". The teacher center is reserved for students receiving iii interventions. Initially, I was nervous about this structure because I was unsure how the teacher would be able to manage her classroom while providing triage help to her lowest students. After observing Daily 5 during my first week, I was impressed by how well the students managed themselves. Students met on the carpet before each rotation and chose a center to visit. Each center had a learning goal and scale posted for the students to see so they always knew what was expected of them. They knew what to do at each center, when to rotate, and what to do if they finished their work early. Because the students were so organized and self-sufficient during their rotations, my supervising teacher and I were both able to select iii students to intervene with. We were able to meet with twice as many students as she would meet with normally and provide individualized help without worrying about whether or not the other students were on task. Now that I have seen the Daily 5 model in action, I understand how it is beneficial to all students and have gathered some ideas for how to manage my classroom should this be the model my future schools decide to implement.
RECs: 6.10, 6.7
No comments:
Post a Comment